Friday, November 04, 2005

Okkervil River - Basketball

Back home again in Southern Illinois, with little to do, you can expect a few updates here on the ole' blog. Nice response thus far to the Supergrass contest, so keep the goodness coming.

Okkervil River will be in Chicago on Sunday night, along with The Minus Story, at the Abbey Pub . I'm a sucker for banjos and pedal steel, so I like these guys more than most of the blahtastic indie bands that float around on the internet (via ohmyrockness)

Okkervil River has been accurately compared to Neutral Milk Hotel, Will Oldham, Bright Eyes and even Johnny Cash. Singer Will Robinson Sheff composes stirring stories straight from the heartland. These are avant-folk tales rich in the most wonderful kind of sadness.Okkervil River is for people who are ok with being down every now and then. While primarily relying on his acoustic guitar to bare his soul, Sheff also incorporates banjos, pedal steels, fiddles, horns and a Wurlitzer to give his songs extra depth. Sheff's earnest, introspective lyrics often deal with the dark and dysfunctional, yet the complex, ambitiously orchestrated arrangements are too beautiful to simply dismiss this band as a downer.

Okkervil River -For Real
Okkervil River - Black
Okkervil River - A Favor
Okkervil River - The War Criminal Rises and Speaks

More craziness:
John Vanderslice - Trance Manual


Two Cool Cats from the Hood'


With the NBA season in full swing now, you can expect massive amounts of updates talkin' bout ball. With that, I give you:

Shaq took a nasty fall last night. The Pace are my darkhorse to win it all this year. That's assuming that Artest keeps his shit together. He did call Stern a "cool cat from the hood," so we'll see how long that holds up.
Shaq sprains ankle; Pacers take advantage
Artest: Stern 'A cool cat' from the 'hood

Kwame, not the answer in LA.
New year, same old Kwame

Goose had a good post on the Bucs, and it looks like they are going to be good for a long time. The Bulls, not so much?
Bucks extend GM's contract


HAHAH! Yah right!


Maybe it's just me, but I think that New Orleans is done. It's over, let it go. The city wasn't nice to begin with. Make Baton Rogue the new NO. The New Orleans/OK Hornets thing cracks my shit up. I wish the NBA would just give in and move an NBA team to St. Louis, further giving me a reason to consider moving there someday. Doubtful all around.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I'll have to see if I can get away and down to the Abbey Pub for that show on Sunday. Nice heads up!

12:03 PM  
Blogger jds said...

So how was Okkervil? I'm really digging BlackSheepBoy.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

I'm glad you enjoy the John Vanderslice song. It's great! :-) I don't mind you using my bandwidth at all to post that here.

Just curious: did you find the file via google or actually on my blog?
-- Adam
(mathcaddy.com)

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home