Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Jacksonville City Nights



It might take me three our four listens to get into this album, but after a first run through today, it seems to be growing on me. Ryan Adams wants to write romantic country balads, which is fine with me, I'm into that. Unfortunately for Adams, Jacksonville isn't the most romantic city (Jacksonville isn't a heart wrenching city either). Adams isn't Young and he isn't Cash, in fact I'm not sure what he is/wants to be. One hell of an artist, perhaps? Whatever that might be. Pumping out great tunes left and right. I'm more of a Cold Roses fan, but it's good to see him delving further into his roots.

A song by song schpeal, feel free to add your thoughts via comments. My favorite songs are up with reviews of the rest.

1. A KISS BEFORE I GO - Like the whole shot/beer concept but Adams voice doesn't do it for me here. B


2. THE END - Jacksonville, ummm k. Good title. B-


3. HARD WAY TO FALL - Better, kind of sad...love the steel guitar. A-


4. DEAR JOHN - Norah Jones joins for a pretty fantastic song. Starting to pick up. A


5. THE HARDEST PART - True love ain't the hardest part. B+


6. GAMES - ehhh... ummm ehh... ok... C


7. SILVER BULLETS - Better, warmer, love the piano. B+


8. PEACEFUL VALLEY - Ok, I finally get the voice. Very well. Good jam at the end. A


9. SEPTEMBER - Pick it up half way through. Sleepy at first. B


10. MY HEART IS BROKEN - I'm a sucker for the honky tonk, which his voice is more suited for. A-


11. TRAINS - Best guitar on the album. I hate it when trains are in my head. B


12. PA - Sleepy. Little too sleepy for me. C


13. WITHERING HEIGHTS - Favorite song after second listen. Could be on to something. B+


14. DON'T FAIL ME NOW - Darker ending than I expected. Still cool. A-

--
We gave our first injections today at school. The entire left side of my face has been numb all night. Cool. I shot the shit with an oral surgery resident about getting some nitrous over to a group of six guys I was working with because some of their hands were super shaky. Luckly the toofrunner has dead steady hands and his patient didn't even feel the injection. More tommorow.

16 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Nice post. I'm excited to listen to this new Ryan Adams shit when I get home. Cold Roses (about 1/2 of it at least) seemed like a return to form for him. Hopefully this is some of the same.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I agree. There is some sleepy stuff on here, too.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous rosie said...

i heard it at my local indie record shop this morning and freaked out, but was then told its not released for another week... but hey, now i got the mp3s. thanks!

5:25 AM  
Blogger laura said...

i really want to see the DVD

1:53 PM  
Blogger Brooks said...

This is really great... thanks!

3:25 PM  
Blogger c said...

F ryan adams, let's hear more about the nitrous...no really, thanks mucho for the mp3s.
peace

5:56 PM  
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

blogger nitrous partay

7:20 PM  
Blogger JG said...

super cool! RYAN AND NORA!!!!!1

6:15 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Good stuff, heh? Nitrous is some shit. Crazy stuff.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mp3s, dude.

- Some random person

2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff. Curious, but does he mean Jacksonville as in Florida? If so, I have to disagree w/ toofrunner. It's a pretty sweet town. Beaches and an almost big-city-- great combo.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

Adams is from Jacksonville, N.C. to clear that up. Never been there, but don't think it's very big.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That song with Norah Jones in haunting indeed. Piano, two great vocals, strong lyrics combine to create a very haunting song. It is great. May be one of the best from either artists.

Mark

10:00 PM  
Blogger Nico said...

I know liking My Morning Jacket, Sigur Ros and Ryan Adamas isn't a very exclusive club, but still, right on!

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Superman said...

This is a fantastic album, and a welcome return to the style he embraced during the Whiskeytown years. Nice to see that he is continuing what he started on Cold Roses.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's referring to Jacksonville City, not Jacksonville. You're right--Jacksonville is a complete shit hole.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home