Wednesday, August 03, 2005

My New Place, and why Sufjan Stevens is dead on:


So, last weekend I moved into my new place. After a sold 14 hour day on Saturday, my room is pretty nice, and I have a lot more space to do my thing in, now, which is great. Just fantastic. Riding, down here on the southern industrial side of the city, almost isn't even worth it, so I've been in somewhat of a grumpy mood for a solid 72 hours now. I go to the gym instead. Don't tell anyone or I'll punch you in the kidney. You need your kidneys. I guess anything beats a 7X9 room which isn't actually a legal room, they have to be > 9X10 here in Chicago, weird, I know. Ok, enough of that.

I grew up in Illinois, like real Illinois (Central/Southern), not Chicago. For the most part, people in Chicago aren't aware that there is another 300+ miles south of their glorious city. Well, there is. I lived there. I grew up there. It's not all that bad. Sufjan did an album about most of the state. I'll give you the song and tell you why it means something to me. You'll listen to it and go "ohhh, now I understand..." We'll both be happy....so here goes:

Sufjan Stevens - Jacksonville
I almost went to school in Jacksonville, or more specifically Illinois College. I'm glad that I didn't. It would have sucked. Indiana is where it's at.

Sufjan Stevens - Decatur
I grew up in this area. For the most part, it's not that horrible. I know many people who went to Milliken University, located in the beautiful Decatur, and I have a great aunt/uncle who reside there. I will never live there, but again, not that bad..

Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
Obvs, this is where I live now. It's going to shape me as a person for the next for years, like it or not. It's a good city, big with temperamental seasons, but I like it a lot. I'll prob. move to colorardo someday, but for now Chicago is perfect.

Sufjan Stevens - To the Workers of Rockford
Rockford, what can you say? One of two things. It's close to Wisconsin, or my roomate is from there and he's a little weird. Ok, that's Rockford.

Sufjan Stevens - The Man of Metropolis
My twin brother went to Southern Illinois University. It's close to Metropolis. It's the home of Superman, for God's sake. Let me know if your state houses Superman. Yah, that's right, Illinois owns. .

Sufjan Stevens - The Predatory Wasp..
Good song, I got nothing to add about my life.

Sufjan Stevens - The Seer's Tower
See Chicago. It's really tall. Ate dinner near there once.

Sufjan Stevens - Out of Egypt..
Again, brother went to SIU...Egypt=Southern Illinois. I don't' know why, but that is the way it is. Like it.

All in all, great album with huge significance to my life. It's great, you already know that, hipster. Thought I would add a little to why it's great.

CUBS Tonight....hahaha!!! How do you lose a game like that. Great, Great shit. Man, they suck.

Cards win with a So Taguchi bomb, and the cubs lose with a force out error at home?

Man, two different teams. Maybe Sufjan should make a Missouri album...ohh he will kiddos...he will.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

You forgot about that big clock in Rockford. That's about all I remember from my young days in that city (can you call it a city?). ... Cubs. Sigh. Go Bears.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

It should be noted I grew up in Palatine, Ill., a glaring omission on Sufjan's album. I can forgive him.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Yah, Effingham didn't find it's way on there, either. I cannot believe he didn't make a song bout' Effingham, of all places. That cubs loss last night was flippin' hillarious...

5:58 AM  
Anonymous uwmryan said...

love the blog name...

8:22 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Didn't even see Cubs debacle, though nothing surprises me anymore.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

I also can't believe what a ridiculous play the Cubs lost on last night. I have now officially seen it all. Sufjan also forgot to include a song about Aurora. I mean, it's the city of light and everything...

7:33 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Yah aurora, what a town. It's the gd home of Wayne/Garth and it still doesn't make it on the album. Man, some of these cities must have paid the guy off. Cubs suck man, sorry, they're just cursed ;) Go cards!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home