Wednesday, June 22, 2005

"back like a chiropractor....." - Common



I've got 2.5 weeks off from school to study for boards. I've been putting about 3-4 hours in a day and more on the weekends for a little under a month. For the next 2.5 weeks, I promise to do nothing but ride my bike, update my blog, and study my ass off. Cheers to that. My brother in NC tells me that the Charlotte Bobcats are going to draft darren williams. Sweet.

Few albums i've been into:

Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Finally, the world is treated to Mike Doughty's first "full-band" album since
Soul Coughing disbanded in 1998. Doughty has clearly morphed from hyperactive ironic hipster to a world-class songwriter with lyrics that are funny ("I want to run away and join the office") and self-deprecating but never emo ("All my life I've been slow and senseless/Not struck dumb I'm just dumb that's all"). If you're looking for faults you can always find them, and to be sure some of the playing is overly "pro" and not as funky as M.D. live. The perfect pedal steel touches throughout are actually icing on this cake, and the drummer dude from N.E.R.D.'s metronomic bashing's hardly a bummer. The songs on the album will be familiar to fans who've seen him live, and thanks to Haughty being recorded over a long stretch of time (the songs themselves honed that way too) it has a "greatest hits" feel to it: all killer, no filler. --Mike McGonigal

Pinback - Summer in Abandon

Editorial Reviews
Album Description
Although it may seem like gentle pop music at first, the brilliance of "Summer In Abaddon" is slowly revealed over repeated listenings. The songs are buoyant and lively at times, melancholy and dark at others, and always resonate with an underlying intensity. Pinback lays out beautiful melodies that are deceptively complex, layering sounds and instruments upon one another and trading contrasting vocal parts with ease

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yah
Eels - Blinking Lights...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home